Leprechaun Hat Trap
- 20 Mins
- 12" x 12" Construction Paper
- Lucky Charms Cereal
- Thick String
- Hot Glue
- Glitter Glue
- Cotton Balls
- Gather your supplies
Build the Hat
- To create a hat shape, cut your construction paper down to a 12” x 9” rectangle. Tape the 9” sides together to form a cylinder.
- Trace the circumference of the cylinder shape you just created on another piece of construction paper and cut it out to create the top of your hat. To create the trap, be sure to cut a small 1” circle somewhere on the top of the hat and tape the top to the cylinder base.
- Cut another piece of construction paper into a circle larger than the circumference of the cylinder to create your hat’s base and attach it to the bottom of the cylinder.
- To create the traditional leprechaun buckle, cut a strip of black construction paper out that is long enough to wrap around the hat and attach it to the base of your hat. Then, cut squares from yellow and black pieces of construction paper. Make sure the yellow square is larger than the black square and glue these pieces of paper on top of one another. Attach this buckle to the black strip of paper around the base of your hat.
Build The Rainbow
- Cut six strips of paper, with each strip about an inch wide. All strips will be the same width but have different lengths. Start with the longest strip being red, and subsequently cut each color of the rainbow about a quarter of an inch shorter.
- Stack the strips on top of one another, with the longest strip on the bottom and shortest on the top. Align the edges of the strips together on one of the short ends and tape or glue together.
- To form the rainbow arch shape, line up the other short ends and glue or tape together.
- Glue or tape the rainbow on top of your hat to entice leprechauns to climb it!
- Use cotton balls and surround the base of the rainbow to create cloud-like structures.
Make a Rope Ladder
- Cut a piece of string, ensuring it reaches the top of your hat from the base of the hat.
- Cut 1 straw into 3 equal pieces to create the ladder rungs. Cut as many straws as needed to fill the string up and glue them onto the string, ensuring they are equally spaced apart.
- Glue the top of your completed ladder to the top of the hat. Sprinkle Lucky Charms on the top of your hat to lure leprechauns up to your trap. Good luck!
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device